LawCall - Legal Call In Show

There have been lots of storms this fall due to an active hurricane season. The insurance companies are no doubt working overtime to assess claims. If you have suffered any storm damage one of the best things you may do is to consult an attorney before you file a claim for storm damage. There are a lot of things to consider that an attorney will know to look for and to advise you on how to proceed.

When you’re looking at your policy and realize what it is you have, whether you got lucky and didn’t have any storm damage, or if you did suffer damage and are thinking about how to change your policy – call an attorney before you make that decision.

Your insurance policy will govern with whom you file your claim and whether or not the damage will be covered. As a general rule, you may safely assume that if the damage is caused by flooding, and you do not have flood insurance, that damage will not be covered.

Flood insurance is something anyone can add to their homeowner’s policy. If you live in a flood zone, you must have flood insurance.

Another thing is wind damage, fallen trees, roofs being blown off and things of that nature. As a general rule, these types of things should be covered under your homeowner’s policy. It can get tricky if a neighbor’s tree falls in your yard or on your home, or if the reverse happens.

Generally, your neighbor’s homeowner’s policy should cover any damage to their property. However, if it is something like a dead tree, or one that you should have known would fall very easily with a bit of wind, then you may be held responsible.

Otherwise, it could be considered an “act of God”, and you would not go to the other person’s insurance company for relief.

If you have questions about how to proceed with a storm damage claim, please consult our Online Legal Directory to find an attorney in your area.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This