If you are injured in a car wreck, or your house is damaged in a storm – does your insurance cover everything to make you whole again? Most likely, the answer to that question is, no.

 Insurance – from automobile to homeowners’ policies, cover you in many ways, but you need to know what that coverage is, and whether or not you may need more.

 For instance, one of the most catastrophic weather disasters is flooding. Now you may think that any homeowner’s insurance policy would surely cover damage from flooding, but you would be wrong.

 Your homeowner’s insurance does not cover flood damage. It also does not cover earthquake damage, nor does it cover damage from a sink hole. Unless you have special riders added to cover these types of disasters. 

 If there is a major flood, and your home is carried down the street by floodwaters, your basic homeowner’s insurance policy will not cover the damage, and you may be left homeless. Tornado damage is, however, covered because it is considered as wind damage.

 If you experience any of these disasters, and you are having a difficult time with your insurance company, it is a good idea to hire an attorney to fight this battle. 

 Another question about insurance coverage has to do with whom is driving the car. Say you borrow your neighbor’s car to run an errand, and you are in an accident on the way home. Does your neighbor’s car insurance still cover you for the damages?

 In this case, you would be covered, even if you were at fault and there were injuries. If the person who was injured wants to pursue a claim against you, they would have the right to do that. The first claim would be against the person’s insurance from whom you borrowed the car. Insurance follows the vehicle.

 If you have legal questions, please consult our Online Legal Directory to find an attorney in your area.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This