Judge's Gavel - Legal

Hit-and-run accidents may come in several ways: a shopping cart hits your parked car, and no one leaves a note; someone opens their car door into the side of your car leaving a dent but no note; a car hits you and leaves the scene; a car causes you to swerve and run into a ditch, and then leaves the scene of the accident.

As we’ve discussed before, the at-fault driver is responsible for paying damages to your car and your person if you are injured. But what if there is no one on which to place the blame and fault? This is the question when a person leaves the scene of an accident: who is left to pay?

Usually, you buy insurance that pays if you are in an accident and another person is injured or their car is damaged. But if you don’t know who the other person is and therefore there is no insurance information, your own insurance will be responsible for paying for the damages and injuries.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage is required in some states. It provides coverage for injuries and damages if you are involved with a driver who has no insurance. This would be your primary protection if you’re involved in a hit-and-run accident. UIM coverage requires that you prove that another vehicle was involved in your accident, or there is a witness to the wreck.

Personal Injury Protection coverage will pay for medical expenses and lost wages due to an accident. If you are a victim of a hit-and-run, you may make a claim under your PIP coverage, but it may also cause your premiums to go up. Personal Injury Protection is just what it says; it does not pay for damages to your vehicle.

Collision Coverage may be your last resort when trying to recover from a hit-and-run accident. It will at least cover the damages to your vehicle, but it may also cause your premiums to increase. You will want to weigh the cost of repairing the vehicle against the cost of your deductible and any premium increase.

If you’ve been involved in an accident where the other driver leaves the scene, or doesn’t leave you a note on the windshield, use our Online Legal Directory to find an attorney in your area.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This