Distracted driving and the law - LawCall


You might think that with all of the information available about the dangers of distracted driving – fewer people are being injured and killed in these types of accidents. However, people continue to let themselves become distracted while driving.

 Whether you are fussing at your children or changing the radio station you are listening to – you are distracted while driving. Even the smallest attention away from the wheel and roadway is distracting you from safely driving your automobile.

 Since the early laws were written about texting and driving, our cars have gotten much more sophisticated. There are many devices in a car that can distract you, from the GPS, to Siri, to texts and emails on the screens that are now in most automobiles.

 Texting and driving is for certain a deadly combination. And yet, we still see people driving down the road while texting. Oftentimes, the wrecks from these situations are very deadly because speed is involved. Reaction times are fairly non-existent in these cases because the person driving and texting is not paying attention and, therefore, an attempt to stop the car, lessening impact, is non-existent.

 In many states, laws have been passed to try and stop texting while driving. And in some states it is illegal to use your phone, period. These laws are in place to curb the use of cell phones while driving. They are tough laws to enforce, but many states are making the penalties steeper than ever.

 If you are stopped for using your phone while driving, the penalties can get expensive. A fine can run anywhere from $50-$300. Local jurisdictions set the fines for such traffic violations. In some instances, such a violation will be permanently on your driving record. Among other things, your insurance rates will increase.

 If you are in a car accident, whether or not it involves distracted driving, make sure to speak with an attorney to learn your options. In most states, there is a two-year statute of limitations in which to file your claim with the courts.

 If you have legal questions, please consult our Online Legal Directory to find an attorney in your area.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This